Lisbon is a captivating city all year long, but during Autumn it gets an extra charm. October brings lower temperatures, strong winds and temperamental weather, sometimes sunny, other times rainy.
But although the weather gets more unstable, hotel fares start to get cheaper too. Particularly this year, hotels and touristic services will offer good discounts to try to attract clients and tourists to their business.
So if you have the chance of visiting Lisbon at this time, you will probably save money.
How does Lisbon look like in Autumn?
The trees start to get dressed in all shades of yellow, orange and red, and a carpet of crunchy leaves covers the streets.
It is the perfect time to go for a walk along Avenida da Liberdade and contemplate the beautiful trees along the Avenue.
By the second half of October, the white smoke and the unique scent of freshly roasted chestnuts cover Lisbon streets. By the way, this is the time for you to try the roasted chestnuts, buying from one of the street vendors.
What happens in Lisbon this October?
Although many events that usually occur in October were cancelled or postponed due to Covid-19 pandemic, there will be still a lot happening in Lisbon this month.
I list here some of the events for this October:
- Jardins Abertos, October 17/18 and 24/25 – the Autumn edition of the festival that opens the gardens of the city to the public has already published their program. Check it out here.
- Lisbon under stars at Ruins of Carmo Church. An immersive experience that tells the story of the tells some of the most important historical landmarks of Portugal and Lisbon through multimedia projections, visual effects, and Portuguese music. Click here for details, hours, and tickets.
- Magical Garden at Jardim Botânico Tropical in Belém. A spectacle of light, multimedia projections and interactive experiences that promise to take the visitors to travel around the world. Click here for details, hours and tickets.
Events that were postponed or cancelled:
- Web Summit – Postponed to December. The most awaited technology event in Portugal will have an online edition, from December 2nd to December 4th. Tickets are available on Web Summit website.
- MEO Rip Curl Pro Portugal – the Portuguese stage of the 2020 WSL Championship which usually happens on October was cancelled, as well as the whole 2020 edition of the WSL competition. The good news is that Portugal is in the schedule for hosting the second stage of the 2021 edition on next February in Peniche (100km far from Lisbon). For the complete program of the WSL competition check here.
Another important event scheduled for this October in Portugal
Formula 1 Grand Prix in Algarve. After 24 years, Formula One is back to Portugal between 23rd and 25th October. The event will take place in the Algarve racetrack in the city of Portimão (280 km far from Lisbon). Check the official website for details.
As the pandemic evolution brings a lot of uncertainty when planning a visit to Lisbon and Portugal, I suggest always checking the page of Lisbon Tourism and the page of Portugal Tourism to get updates from the Covid-19 situation.
I hope you find this information useful and if you like it, leave a message in the comments of this post. Have a great weekend!